packet security

Hi,
My name is Andreas Olsson and im studying to soon become a
computer-enginer
I have started with my thesis which is about how secure packets can be
transfered
on the media.
The OS is winNT and 95 and the protocols that im gonna check is:
TCP/IP
DDE
DCOM
PPTP

I have read your RFC's about IP-security:

http://www.globecom.net/(eng)/ietf/draft/draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-01.shtml

    http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1826.txt
    http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1827.txt
and find em good.

The IP we run today, is it IPv4?

I want to ask you if you know which algorithms encrypts the packets?
In your RFC's you just say that the security lies in the keys.

Later I want to do a practical research on this topic.
I want to connect three computers, two of them are communicating
and the third tries to snap up the information which is transfered.
Do you know any downloadable programs or other help which I can use
for this??

Do you have any material or know any links that I can check about
my topic I would be glad if you could send them to me.

Personally I find it quite difficult to find information about my topic,

both the protocols and then how the packets are transfered.

Hope from help from you thanks...........
regards,
andreas
Andreas Olsson
de9557@mercury-3.hkr.se