Re: Padding complexities

In message <199801220856.AAA08261@kebe.eng.sun.com>, Dan McDonald writes:

> Existing implementations just feed in the message and let the algorithm's
> "Finish" routine close it out the way it sees fit.

Phrased another way, MD5 (and SHA1) are *designed* so that the internal
blocksize of the algorithm is irrelevant. Unlike DES-CBC, you can feed any
number of bytes into the algorithm, and get the correct result. MD5 and SHA1
have an effective (external?) blocksize of 1 byte, as I said previously.

Meta comment: when was this issue of "authentication algorithm blocksize"
introduced? As with many other changes in the last few months, it has added
needless complexity and confusion to the standard.

--
Harald Koch <chk@utcc.utoronto.ca>

Follow-Ups: References: