Re: some issues about IPSec

> > > I guess I don't see why we should restrict the functionality of an
> > > implementation based on the implementation method at all.  If the
> > > packets emerging from the _box_ don't give any indication of what method
> > > was used to encapsulate them, why should we even care?
> > >

> > The questions here are what are the beneifits of transport mode that are
> > not provided in tunnel mode ?
>
> No.  The question is more along the lines of the following.  Supposing
> my box produces packets correctly in _some_ mode (either tunnel or
> transport) and puts them out on the line in a manner indistinguishable
> from your box.  Do we care that my implementation lies in the core IP
> code while yours is a BITS?  Should yours be subjected to different
> criteria than mine, simply because we chose different implementation
> methods?  Why can't we describe the protocol as being generated by a
> black box, and leave the implementation details to the various
> implementors?

First of all I understand your viewpoint, and if it makes sense for
embedded solutions, o.k.

But benefits and drawbacks are *always* an important consideration.  What
I'm really looking for here is an answer regarding exactly what the
benefit of transport mode is ?  Perhaps a user of the transport mode could
comment on this for clarfication.

Thanks,
Jeffrey Goodwin

**  Ashley Laurent,Inc. **  Software Development  **     Consulting          **
* 707 West Avenue, Suite 201        *     voice: 512-322-0676                 *
* Austin, Texas 78701               *     fax  : 512-322-0680                 *
*                      web: http://www.osgroup.com                            *
* Microsoft Solution Provider       *  	  Complete Systems Design/Development *
* Novell Professional Developer     *	  Systems Software/Device Drivers     *

Follow-Ups: References: