Re: some issues about IPSec

Rob Adams wrote:

> .....And even if that was a common implementation, I'm not sure how
> a bump in the stack implementation would benefit greatly by only doing
> tunnel... Can you explain this?

Rob, the transport mode requires encryption before fragmentation - in BITS
implementation it translates into creating another IP protocol below TCP/IP
protocol for re-assembling fragmented packets, encrypting resulting datagram and
fragmenting it again.

In the tunnel mode - you can encrypt each fragment separately without re-assembling
them into a datagram.

Also, the BITS implementation will be very common on Windows platform till
Microsoft will implement IPsec in their stack

Slava Kavsan
IRE