Re: Interactions between IPSEC and NAT

At 02:39 AM 2/5/98 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Maybe you ought to read the spec. It might answer a lot of your
>questions. Believe it or not, we did know what we were doing.

I have to really question if you knew what you were doing.  Go
read Rogaway's cryptographic analysis--have you fixed the issues
he raised?  Are you still seriously considering a PK solution for
managing trust?  If so, then God help anybody that has to implement
it and get a real customer to use it.

>Your viewpoint is a wee bit unrealistic -- there is, in practice, no
>way to make even a tiny fraction of the routers trusted. It is also
>unneeded -- we know how to provide security in a network where nothing
>except the endpoints need to be trusted.

Unfortunately you have come up with a solution I find cumbersome,
slow, difficult to administer, with an awkward trust model, no
auditing, and no key recovery.

> Might I suggest that you
>study this topic a bit more in depth before commenting further?

You know Perry, not everyone who studies this field goes off and wastes
their time writing RFC's and I-D's. I prefer to apply for patents and sell
them.

- Alex

--
Alex Alten