Re: Generic CBC-MAC specification

In general, I don't believe we should compete with Applied Cryptography;
we don't need to provide tutorial information about the definition of
CBC, Public Key Crypto, how to quickly find prime numbers, and host of
other background information.

As far as needing a definition for CBC-MAC's, I would suggest that the
most appropriate reference would be FIPS-81.  This document defines
modes of operations for DES, including CBC-MAC (which is defined in
Appendix F of FIPS-81).  The I-O resolution draft needs to use 3-DES
CBC-MAC, but the description in sufficiently general the extension of
FIPS-81 to 3-DES should be self-explanatory enough to not be a problem.

FIPS is standards document, and it's freely available on the web from
the U.S. Government.  For example: at the URL

	http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/pubs/fip81.htm

Ben, the text which you wrote is not bad text, and I think it's useful
to have a collection of tutorial texts, linked of a web page, which
explain necessary background material.  The problem with making it
standards track material is that it makes the standards even bigger, and
it's additional text that we have to proof-read, and worry about
problems if we miss some error in the text.

						- Ted

Follow-Ups: References: