Re: Generic CBC-MAC specification

   Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:59:36 +0900
   From: FUKUMOTO Atsushi <fukumoto@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>

   Only description I could find about CBC-MAC in "Applied Cryptography
   2nd ed." (first print) is in p.456, where it says:

	   [...] encrypt a message with a block algorithm in CBC or CFB
	   modes.  The hash is the last encrypted block, encrypted once
	   more in CBC or CFB modes.

   This last line, "encrypted once more in CBC or CFB modes", seems to be
   different from FIPS81 Appendix F, or Mr.Rogers' CBC-MAC draft.

   So my question is, am I right that the description of Applied
   Cryptography is wrong, and the "encrypted once more" should only be
   applied to CFB mode?

If Applied Crypto says this, Applied Crypto is wrong....

						- Ted