Re: ISAKMP alignment question

At 06:09 PM 1/27/98 , Naganand Doraswamy wrote:
>Shawn,
>As the document clearly says messages, I would assume that individual
>payloads do not need aligment and I would assume that the transform payload
>would immediatly start after the CPI.

However, in the Notify payload the SPI is padded to a 32-bit boundary.
Not doing so in the Proposal payload may be a oversight (I think it is).
Changing this now only affects IPPCP proposals and so it's not painful
to make the change.

Not that I understand how a message must be aligned to a 4 byte boundary.
Since a message starts at 0, it's always _aligned_ by definition.

I have an issue with alignment of ISAKMP attributes.  Instead of the somewhat
strange description, I'd rather see that the Attibute Tag must start on
a 32 bit boundary (pad with 0s if not).  It achieves the same result (the value
starting a 4 byte boundary).  If in compact format (no length), the value
doesn't need to be on a 4 byte boundary since it's a 2 byte quantity.
[i hate making this proposal now but I haven't seen an updated draft in
a long time.]

Just my 2 cents...
--
Matt Thomas                    Internet:   matt.thomas@altavista-software.com
Internet Locksmith             WWW URL:    <coming eventually>