Re: IPSEC WORKING GROUP LAST CALL

RE: 40-bit DES

There's an interesting update on the $1,000,000 DES machine, first described
(in public) in 1993, in the latest issue of "CryptoBytes"
(www.rsa.com/rsalabs/pubs/cryptobytes.html).  It's written by the author of
the original paper, Micheal J. Wiener.  Cutting to the chase:

  Today's version of the $1 million machine could find a DES key in, on
  average, in 35 minutes (one-sixth of 3.5 hours).  This time scales
  linearly with the amount of money spent as shown in the following table.

	Key Search Machine Cost		Exepected Search Time
	$10,000				2.5 days
	$100,000			6 hours
	$1,000,000			35 minutes
	$10,000,000			3.5 minutes

For good reason, the IETF decided not to standardize weakened encryption
technology.  I personally wouldn't use 56-bit DES for anything I cared about.

In my opinion, the IETF has done the right thing.  40-bit DES is right out.

Derrell
(Now, where's my Kevlar tie-dye?)