Re: IPSEC WORKING GROUP LAST CALL

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Yes. In the years since the original IPSec work was done, DES has
> become far too weak for words. To my clients with financial
> applications, the few hundred K a DES cracker would cost is probably a
> reasonable expense for an attacker to undertake. Even if we are not
> going to mandate 3DES we should at least make sure that a solid
> standard for how to do it is available at the same time as the other specs.
I agree with Perry, while mandating 3DES may be, politically, a mistake,
having a
  standards-track document describing the 3DES transform would be a
  good thing(tm).

Marcus Leech                             Mail:   Dept 8M86, MS 012, FITZ
Systems Security Architect               Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613
763 9145
Messaging and Security Infrastructure    Fax:   (ESN) 395-1407  +1 613
765 1407
Nortel Technology              mleech@nortel.ca
-----------------Expressed opinions are my own, not my employer's------