Re: IPSEC WORKING GROUP LAST CALL

Daniel Harkins writes:
> Hey, screw you! What do you _produce_ anyway? We sell what we are permitted
> by law and so do you, it's just that you sell advice.

Well, okay, but be that as it may, 40 bit encryption remains worthless
for confidentiality, and becomes even less worthwhile by the day. An
RFC defining how to do it puts an implicit IETF imprimateur on a bad
practice. I'd rather it not be standardized or endorsed in any
fashion.

> I'm trying to forge a compromise and am sympathetic to people who
> may not have a job because their company can't make enough money in
> a domestic market alone.

Tell them to call up their Senator and explain to them that export
controls are destroying their jobs. That is a political issue, not a
technical issue. Just because the NSA would like us to pretend a sow's
ear is a silk puurse does not make it the job of the IETF to pretend
along.

In short, standardizing bad technology to give jobs to people selling
literally worthless devices is not what the IETF is about. We are not
about job creation. We are about *Engineering*.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: