RE: Certificate Requesting

Hi Roy,

I know a few IKE's that will accept the Cert Req in the SA exchange, the
KE, or the final ID part.  I really don't what to see the case you
propose as even being valid (additional exchange).  For one it allows
for an awful state on the responder.  Take this situation

>        Initiator                          Responder
>       ----------                         -----------
>        HDR, SA                     -->
>                                    <--    HDR, SA
>        HDR, KE, Ni                 -->
>                                    <--    HDR, KE, Nr
>        HDR*, IDii,CERT, SIG_I -->
>                                    <--    HDR*, IDir, SIG_R

If I am the Responder I have all I need, my main mode is done.  But now
I have to keep it open just in case you want to send me a cert request
payload.

No sir, No sir, I don't like it.

>        HDR*, CERTREQ        -->

You can't do it under an info because the Responder has gone to the
Encrypt only state because he has a valid SA.

ISAKMP states that optional payloads must be accepted any time during
the exchange, to me this doesn't mean it is valid to extend the exchange
>to send optional payloads.

Send your Cert Req either during SA, KE, or ID exchanges.  Don't tack on
an additional exchange.  I know this isn't the greatest because you
don't have the ID payload until the last exchange.  Well then you cache
certs based on IP, or you cache certs based on SA, or you send over your
Vendor Specific cert cache info payload, or just don't cache certs and
live with the 1k of additional data as opposed to the headaches you are
going to cause yourself with caching...
Bye.
----
Greg Carter, Entrust Technologies