LAN-to-LAN IPSEC tunnels over the Internet

I know that the recommendation is for 'block-mode' encryption so that
major-damage is not done to the data-stream when the odd packet goes
missing. But, for LAN-to-LAN,  certain QOS is required anyway (and the
carriers and ISPs seem to be working towards offering better services
for LAN-to-LAN - i.e. less packet loss and no reordering), so, is there
a way of using IPSEC encryption in cipher-stream mode when the service
is good enough - I hear this makes the cipher harder to crack.

The same is true for compression (IPCOMP), but I'll but that note on the
other list.

Cheers, Steve.