Re: IPSEC tunnels and Mobile IP

I would disagree on the point about not needing mobile IP in a hotel room.
There is a good reason why a hotel should offer support for visiting
laptop, $$$.  Hotels are already providing enhanced office services to
their customers for a fee.  Offering Mobile IP would allow them to provide
enhanced network access (above dial-up modem speeds) to business meeting
attendees, conference gatherings in adition to guests.

The only way Mobile IP will get out of the lab and into commercial products
and service offerings is by allowing service providers the ability to
generate revenues necessitating scaleable, robust authentication and access
control for billing purposes.

Stu

At 02:32 PM 2/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> IMNSHO, Mobile IP is for mobile units. ie cars, tanks, soldiers, and
>> pedestrians.  A notebook I plug into a phone jack in a hotel, car dealer,
>> or conference LAN does not need Mobile IP, only IPsec.
>
>While not disagreeing in principle, I'd like to note that there is
>tremendous utility in using a dynamically assigned IP address from the
>wireless provider and setting up IPSEC tunneling associations
>authenticated by user identity.  In this way, a laptop can be mobile
>throughout a large wireless service structure and maintain secure
>connections without the necessity for level 3 handoffs.
>
>Hilarie

==========================
Stuart Jacobs CISSP
Network Security