Re: IPSEC WORKING GROUP LAST CALL

 >> understand this.  I am certain that this requirement will not
 >> change for >>the forseeable future, regardless of our consensus.
 >> I am also certain that >>this requirement can be met, in a manner
 >> that would satisfy our community...  > >A significant fraction of
 >> the community will not be satisfied by any >protocol which
 >> incorporates key recovery.  The objection is not to the >technical
 >> details of key recovery, but to its presence in any form.  >
 >>
 >> My view is that it's just another tool to be used to solve certain
 >> types of problems.  Whether you realize it or not, we have been
 >> outmaneuvered by other communities with different desires.

 Daniel> It's not really "outmaneuvered"; it's more like conceding the
 Daniel> low-ground.  The only justification for key recovery in a
 Daniel> communications product (as opposed to a stored-data product)
 Daniel> is to facillitate evesdropping. We don't want to "solve" that
 Daniel> problem-- and in fact don't view lack of key recovery as a
 Daniel> problem in the first place!

I agree.  We should strive to keep IPSec useful.

RFC 1984 is worth reading in this context.

	paul