Re: IPSEC tunnels and Mobile IP

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Stuart Jacobs wrote:

> The Mobile IP user always has a permanent IP address (that IP address
> he/she uses in their home subnet).  When the mobile IP user roams from the
> home subnet,  the user is issued a temporary IP address (which is mapped by
> the home and foreign agents to the roaming user's permanent IP address) for
> use in the visited subnet.  All other nodes which send packets to the
> roaming node can still use the roaming node's permanent IP address whithout
> having any apriori knowledge of the roaming node's current subnet location.
> Namely a roaming Mobile IP equipped node never loses it's home IP identity,
> it can always be addressed by its home subnet IP address. The only routing
> changes that predictably occur when a mobile IP node roams, is the tunnel
> from the node's home agent to the foreign agent serving the subnet
> currently being visited by the mobile IP node

Is this scheme and its terminology specifically defined in a Standard
anywhere?  It sounds to me to be in the category of legal uses of the
protocol.  But it doesn't answer the question and it doesn't address the
way I and many others use the protocol, including dynamic IP, NFS, and
multi-user hosts.

Mitch Nelson

Follow-Ups: References: