Re: Quick Mode client IDs

and then Paul Koning <pkoning@xedia.com> replied:
> That sounds right -- except that I'm not sure about the last sentence.

That last sentence was written as a replacement for what's currently
the last sentence in the fourth paragraph of section 5.5 of the IKE
draft, which reads:

   [...] If an ID range
   (see Appendix A of [Pip97]) is not acceptable (for example, the
   specified subnet is too large) a INVALID-ID-INFORMATION notify
   message (18) followed by an acceptible ID range, in an ID payload,
   SHOULD be sent.

This sentence has a number of problems - for starters, there is no longer
an Appendix A in the DOI draft (which is what [Pip97] refers to).  Second,
because there are two client ID payloads sent in Quick Mode, it would
be difficult to determine whether the one being sent back corresponds
to IDci or IDcr.  My intention was to try and replace this sentence with
one that would, ideally, satisfy the intent of the original but state it
in a way that (hopefully) made more sense.  I did show it to some folks
for review before I sent it out; they had no objections.

If someone would like to propose alternate text, or thinks the whole
notion of providing a "hint" as to what is acceptable back to the
Quick Mode initiator should be removed altogether, that's fine by me...
Any opinions (esp. from the draft authors) on what should be done here?

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: smamros@BayNetworks.com