Re: my minutes from the end client tunnel config discussion

>   Pertinent issues that are important to get working road
> warrior/gateway tunnels:
> 	1. end client has no permanent IP address. The ID payload
> 	will therefore be FQDN or user@FQDN.

Or ID_DER_ASN1_DN-- the DER encoding of the DN of the certificate.

> 	2. due to #1, and the fact that the ID payload is not sent
> 	until the third exchange, a road warrior can not use
> 	pre-shared-keys for ISAKMP using main mode. The right
> 	pre-shared-key can not be selected. Section 5.4 of
> 	isakmp-oakley-06.txt mentions this. Agressive mode can be
> 	used, but obviously, it does not provide identity protection.

This is mitigated by the use of the ID_KEY_ID type. From the DOI:

   4.6.2.12 ID_KEY_ID

      The ID_KEY_ID type specifies an opaque byte stream which may be used
      to pass vendor-specific information necessary to identify which pre-
      shared key should be used to authenticate Aggressive mode
      negotiations.

This way a peer's ability to pass an ID of, say, "skdruhfak" and an associated
pre-shared key of, say, "jlkert6y9e4h" would authenticate the peer without
leaking its real identity. Note that this type has to be in the group of
DOI=0 ID types that Doug is putting in the base ISAKMP document.

>	3. a way is needed to configure the road warrior's inner
>	tunnel address. Roy Pereira's isakmp-mode-cfg is an initial attempt.
>	4. we need some textual information in the nofity
>	messages. MCR will be writing a document.

I like this very much.

>	5. the bootstrap problem was declared out of scope for
>	IPsecond.
>	6. we need to define *exactly* what goes into certificates
>	used on road warrior nodes. Rodney has a document in
>	preperation that addresses this for both end node and
>	gateways.
>	7. we discussed whether or not policy configuration should
>	be in scope for IPsecond.

  Dan.