comments on draft-ietf-isakmp-mode-cfg-02.txt

Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-mode-cfg-02.txt

1. The draft specifies ways to exchange configuration information
    either within an ISAKMP Phase 1 exchange or by ISAKMP Informational
    exchange. Couple of points here:

    -when done over Phase 1, the HASH has to include the configuration
     information being exchanged, otherwise it is not authenticated. This
     means though that HASH_I and HASH_R in the IKE exchange has to
     be augmented to include NOTIFY payloads. Not desirable for reasons
     of compatibility.

    -hence the information exchange shd be done after Phase 1 is
     complete, although this may mean more message exchanges. The format
     specified in section 5.7 of the IKE draft (ISAKMP-OAKLEY draft 06)
     shd be used.

 2. The draft proposes to distribute policy and certificates
    by this method across road warrior-gateway tunnels. I don't see
    the benefit in doing as opposed to running generic client applications.
    Hence I would restrict this method to only distribute basic routing
    related information, such as local address and DNS address.

Comments?

Partha P. Bhattacharya
Pau-Chen Cheng

IBM Research