Re: new IKE draft

According to PKCS#1, the length of the data to be encrypted must not be
more than k-11 octets, where k is the modulus length.

PKCS#1 has two interesting notes in section 8:
     3.   Application of private-key operations as defined
          here to data other than an octet string containing
          a message digest is not recommended and is subject
          to further study.

     4.   This standard may be extended to handle data of
          length more than k-11 octets.

Is there a standard that describes how to do #4?  That would answer how to
encrypt longer octet strings.
Also, what about #3 above?  The Id payload certainly isn't a message
digest.

Thanks,

Sumit A. Vakil
3Com, Corp.