Re: is manual keying mandatory

I sent my original reply directly to Roy.  Sorry 'bout that.

I've remembered another reason for MUST on manual keying that Bill hints at
here...

> It also leaves makes more room for experimentation with new key
> management techniques, since a new key management system can be
> grafted on through the "manual" key management interface.

YES!  And one example of a new key management system is any system for
multicast keys!

If you don't have manual keying, how can you add:

		AH
		spi 0x1969
		authalg md5
		src <INADDR_ANY>
		dst 224.124.12.2

That's a perfectly legal and valid multicast SA, and manual keying (or any
first-cut KDC solution that makes you get the group key from a group key
manager) is the only way to do that.

Dan