RE: Last Call: Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol to

Steve,

>All that notwithstanding, this is not a new issue.  We've been over
> this ground before in the working group.  Several of us, myself
> included, suggested deleting AH.  We lost.  Fine; so be it.  Let's ship
> the documents and be done with it.

No, saying that it is fine is not okay given that there is now an order more
experience in building these implementations and from my own personal
polling the utility of some of this stuff  is questionable (I am picking on
AH as a tanglible large item to jettison from this ark).   No one is stopped
from building and shipping product; the documents should be right, not
expedient.

IPSEC as currently spec'd is HUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

The amount of MUSTs in the current IPSEC Architecture document is
unnecessary (and I paraphrase here): host implementations MUST have certain
mgmt interfaces, manual keying is a MUST, etc., etc.

The minimal IPSEC implementation that complies to all of the gorp in these
documents  is unnecessary for many interesting generally consumer based
applications.

The specs can be pared down so that smaller, cheaper, better implementations
are possible and they meet all of the MUSTs in the specifications.   AH is a
RIPE target for such pruning.

As Steve notes (and as I noted in my original posting) this is an old issue.
When reading the spec from the perspective of a really cheap IP based device
the specs are outdated with a focus on Router and "Host" implementations.
What is  galling is that there is functionality mandated that will probably
not prove useful.

Of course, if the bulk of the people who are building this stuff remain
silent and on the sidelines the powerful process of inertia will take over
and yet another ITU^H^HETF standard will be on its way out the chute.  Folks
will elect to build the subset they need and deprecate the meaning of "IPSEC
standards based".  This is particular disconcerting given the coupling of
IPSEC to IPv6.

This is not to say that AH should disappear completely.  A few MAYs would
give it comfortable  quarters in the specs.

rant, rant, rant,

peter