RE: Last Call: Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol to Proposed Standard

At 09:06 AM 3/27/98 -0800, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>At 09:04 PM 3/26/98 -0800, Peter Ford wrote:
>

>Another strong argument for AH was export.  The assumption is that AH will
>always be exportable.  Getting an export license for an ESP implementation
>that only does NULL-ESP might be a little hard.

Yes, I imagine it will be quite hard without some sort of key escrow.
This in my opinion will seriously hobble IPSEC's deployment.  I'm not
kidding about this.  The US Commerce department will not back down on this.
The reason is because they have already approved some unrestricted key
length export licenses for world wide shipment (except the forbidden 5).
Some, like TIS's RecoverKey(tm), use 3rd party key escrow.  This puts them
in a very strong position for the foreseeable future.

- Alex

--
Alex Alten
Andrade@Netcom.Com