ESP Pad byte changes

I was wondering how many implementations are numbering the pad bytes and
checking the values as indicated in the latest ESP draft.  This seems to be a
problem that if you check the values, you may not be able to interoperate with
many ipsec implementations.  I realize this is a 'should' issue, but this
is a low-level detail I don't want to surface to the user to turn on or
off.  In addition, it is not an attribute that can be negotiated with
ISAKMP/Oakley.  Is checking the pad numbering strategic, do most implementers
plan on doing it?  Are most people making this a configurable option?  If it's
not being done now, are people planning on doing it soon (ie 1998)? If it
is not important from a security standpoint to have it, then why is it in
the draft?

For all the noise made about freezing the drafts, I question the decision
to add this in the last round of changes to ESP.

Just wondering what others thought.

Jackie
--
Jacqueline Wilson          | Phn:  (512) 838-2702
IBM, AIX/6000              | Fax:  (512) 838-3509