Re: Last Call: Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol to Proposed Standard

Ran Canetti writes:
> In fact, why not remove the original encryption mode from the
> IKE standard altogether (or, if you wish, make it "historic")?

I think it should stay in.

> Recall that the revised mode does not suffer from the problems that Lewis
> points out (since there the RSA encryption encrypts only a key to
> some block cipher).

Not true. You still have to limit the nonce size from the maximum of
256 bytes to such that it can be encrypted using the given key.

> Does anyone see an aspect in which the original mode is better than the
> revised? if not, and if the original mode may be problematic in some cases
> then why keep it? (also for sake of simplicity, size of code, the
> usual stuff.)

The rsa encryption mode is much easier to implement [I have
implemented the RSA encryption mode, but I haven't implemented the
revised mode because it would require so much more stuff].

In the RSA encryptionmode I only need to do special prosessing for
nonce and id payloads. In the revised rsa encryption mode I have to
add special processing to all payloads that can exist in the last
packet (ke, cert, cr, vendor id, nonce etc).
--
kivinen@iki.fi                               Work : +358-9-4354 3207
Magnus Enckellin kuja 9 K 19, 02610, Espoo   Home : +358-9-502 1573