Re: a simple question, I hope. Why do we need tunnel mode?

My thinking similar.

IP-in-IP mode of transport is a solution to get around enterprise
firewall scrutiny. However, IPSec is not limited to this type of
transport alone. Specifically, L2TP tunnels are equally good candidates
for IPSec in the remote access realm of security solutions. So, I dont
see a need to categorize "IP-in-IP Tunnel Mode" as a distinct type of
security. Transport mode security does cover the Ip-in-IP tunnel mode,
as a special case.

cheers,
suresh