Re: Last Call for IPSEC

Peter Ford writes:
> 3) calling anything the Internet
> Key Exchange (IKE) should not happen since there are many Internet Key
> Exchanges going on in the Internet today and several are being standardized
> by Internet working groups(e.g TLS).

Until now I didn't realize you were raising this as a serious objection.
To my ear, calling the key exchange for the "Internet Protocol" the "Internet
Key Exchange" makes the terminology nicely consistent. It might be said
that nothing should be called the "Internet Protocol" since there are many
(Internet) Protocols going on in the Internet today and several have been
standardized (e.g. TCP). But the Internet goes everywhere IP is laid down;
hopefully a baseline of Internet security will go everywhere IPSEC is laid
down.

I don't see a reason to rename IKE.
--
Lewis, who wasn't involved in choosing the name "IKE"
<pseudonym@acm.org>

Follow-Ups: References: