Re: Last Call for IPSEC

At 01:30 PM 4/9/98 -0700, Scott G. Kelly wrote:

>ISAKMP is designed to accept key-exchange plug-ins. This makes ISAKMP a
>well-designed protocol, in that if we find flaws with the key-exchange
>component, it may be replaced without designing an entirely new
>protocol. This seems quite reasonable to anticipate, given the relative
>dearth of practical operating experience in this frontier.

Note that ISAKMP is standards track.  That was in recognistion of its
nature.  Will there be another 'IKE'?  Field experience will tell.  Also it
is up to other wgs to see how they will embrace ISAKMP.  Will they use IKE
with their own DOI?  Or develop 'Casidy' or 'Carson', or....

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com