Re: Hop Limit in Inner Header (IPv6)

	    From: Karen Heron <heron@us.ibm.com>
	    Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:49:03 -0400

	    In draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-04, 5.1.2.2 IPv6 -- Header Constructio
	    for Tunnel Mode, the inner header Hop Limit is decremented.  This
	    will cause problems for securing IPv6 NDP traffic.  The hop limit i
	    set to 255 in NDP packets and checked in the receiving node to make
	    sure it came from the same link.  If this NDP exchange is secured
	    using tunnel mode and the hop limit is decremented before the packe
	    is encapsulated, the receiving node will reject the NDP packet and
	    neighbor discovery will fail, even if the two nodes are on the same
	    link.  Should the Hop Limit not be decremented for locally generate
	    traffic?  If not, I don't see how NDP traffic can be secured using
	    tunnel mode - maybe I've missed something in the drafts that said
	    this.  If this question has already been answered, I'd appreciate a
	    pointer to the discussion (I didn't see it in the archives).

	 Karen,
	 	I would think that if a packet originates at host A, and the
	 packet then gets encapsulated by security gateway G and sent down the
	 IPSEC tunnel to host B, that host A and host B are not on the same
	 network.

	 	In fact, even if the packet is originated and encapsulated at
	 host A, and sent over a IPSEC tunnel, which might send the packet
	 halfway across the world, when it is decapsulated at host B, the hop
	 count should be decremented, since it is extremely unlikely that they
	 are really "neighbors".

	 	I'm not completely familiar with what exactly NDP is trying to
	 do, but if you're using tunnel mode, you can't distinguish between
	 whether your communications partner is on the same ethernet, or on the
	 wrong side of MAE-EAST (you can tell that by the number of packets tha
	 get dropped, though :-).  If this is what NDP is trying to do, then
	 fundamentally you shouldn't be using tunnel mode.  Whether you always
	 decrement the hop count, as the spec currently states, or never
	 decrement the hop count, you still don't know whether someone is next
	 door or on the other side of the planet.

My own view is that a tunnel is a virtual wire between two nodes.  NDP
should work across that tunnel only to the extent that the packet
originated on one endpoint and terminated on the other.  ("Neighbor" is
a topological construct here, and ignores phyiscal reality.)