Re: Hop Limit in Inner Header (IPv6)

At 02:49 PM 4/21/98 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
>2003>    decapsulator MUST discard the datagram.  If, after decapsulation,
the
>2003>    decapsulator forwards the datagram to one of its network interfaces,
>
>Bob> ipsec-arch's parentage is the 2003 work, if not 2003 itself.  It is
>Bob> interesting to note that 2003 does not decrement on decapsulating,
though.

>  If you regard a tunnel as a replacement for a physical wire, then
>the wording in 2003 is far more correct. You decrement upon forwarding.
>So, I'm not sure why you write the above parts.

My message was incomplete.  Why the difference?  Is one more right than the
other?  Or is the need different in MobileIP than in IPsec tunnels?

>  Rational for decrementing was discussed awhile ago on this list.
>  See:
>	http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ipsec/1997/07/msg00016.html
>
>  and followup messages.

Thanks for the reference.  I knew that this was discussed before.  What
hasn't been...

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com