Re: Hop Limit in Inner Header (IPv6)

Mike asked me to forward this note to the list.

2003>    decapsulator MUST discard the datagram.  If, after decapsulation, the
2003>    decapsulator forwards the datagram to one of its network interfaces,

Bob> ipsec-arch's parentage is the 2003 work, if not 2003 itself.  It is
Bob> interesting to note that 2003 does not decrement on decapsulating,
though.

  If you regard a tunnel as a replacement for a physical wire, then
the wording in 2003 is far more correct. You decrement upon forwarding.
So, I'm not sure why you write the above parts.

  I think the NDP is a silly thing for the reasons that have
already been pointed out: you can't tell how your neighbours anyway,
because you don't know how far the tunnels go. Maybe some NDP person
can explain to us why they want to know these things, remembering
that tunnels are supposed to be rare in IPv6, since everyone has
AH at the least.

  Rational for decrementing was discussed awhile ago on this list.
  See:
	http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ipsec/1997/07/msg00016.html

  and followup messages.