Re: ISAKMP - Remaining Issues

Derrell D. Piper writes:
> As you know, earlier versions of the ISAKMP drafts had stated that each
> payload should begin on a longword-aligned boundary.  This was changed around
> Munich based on feedback from a number of folks to simply align the entire
> message, which really only aligns the unprotected exchanges.

The question now is what does it mean to align the entire message? The
message is one udp-packet how that can be aligned? Some interpretation
of that was that the length of the message should be padded so that
the size of the message is 4 byte multiple.

> I don't feel that there's a significant processing win to aligning the
> individual payloads, but I don't object to that either.  However, we have
> changed the draft already once to remove the payload alignment requirement.

I don't think that anybody is asking to align payloads, the current
draft is ok, and it should not be changed now in that part.

> So, I'd prefer to keep the draft as currently written.

I would just like to remove the whole text about message alignment
from the draft, so modify this:
3 ISAKMP Payloads

ISAKMP payloads provide modular building blocks for constructing ISAKMP
messages.  The presence and ordering of payloads in ISAKMP is defined by
and dependent upon the Exchange Type Field located in the ISAKMP Header
(see Figure 2).  The ISAKMP payload types are discussed in sections 3.4
through 3.15.  The descriptions of the ISAKMP payloads, messages, and ex-
changes (see Section 4) are shown using network octet ordering.  Addition-
ally, all ISAKMP messages MUST be aligned at 4-octet multiples.
to:
3 ISAKMP Payloads

ISAKMP payloads provide modular building blocks for constructing ISAKMP
messages.  The presence and ordering of payloads in ISAKMP is defined by
and dependent upon the Exchange Type Field located in the ISAKMP Header
(see Figure 2).  The ISAKMP payload types are discussed in sections 3.4
through 3.15.  The descriptions of the ISAKMP payloads, messages, and ex-
changes (see Section 4) are shown using network octet ordering.
(just remove "Additionally, all ISAKMP messages MUST be aligned at
4-octet multiples." sentence).
--
kivinen@iki.fi                               Work : +358-9-4354 3207
Magnus Enckellin kuja 9 K 19, 02610, Espoo   Home : +358-9-502 1573

Follow-Ups: References: