isakmp sa attributes

The IKE spec states that a phase1 sa negotiation must include
the DH group. It seems to me that the group description attribute
would be sufficient for the 768 bit modp group. My quess would be
that the group type and field size attributes are only for private
groups and are therefore not required as part of the negotiation.
Is this correct? If so, what should be done if, for example, these
attributes are included when specifying one of the 4 standard groups?

jeff