Re: ISAKMP - Remaining Issues

  Doug,

  One more issue. Currently ISAKMP reserves exchanges 6-31
for future ISAKMP use and 32-255 for DOI use. Would it be
possible to reserve a few for private use among consenting
parties?

  I see situations where an Informational Exchange containing
a vendor id payload could be used as a probe to discover like-
minded implementations and upon discovery engage in exchanges
that aren't defined in a DOI or the base ISAKMP document.
Similarly, vendor id payloads gratuitously added to Main Mode
exchanges could allow both parties to recognize each other and
use something other than or in addition to Quick Mode as a
phase 2 exchange.

  How about leaving 128-255 for private use. That would provide
a good chunk for this purpose and also allow for things like
consenting parties agreeing that 0x03=Aggressive Mode while
0x83=Aggressive Mode with their particular extension.

  thanks,

    Dan.

P.S. I'm not particular wed to the aforementioned scheme. If
128-255 brings out the ire of some then how about 240-255?
Basically, any block of at least 16 values.

Follow-Ups: References: