Re: (IPng 5744) Re: [Karen Seo: Thomas Narten -- clarification, etc.]

    Date:        Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:54:57 -0400
    From:        "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU>

  | I'm curious --- was it ever the case that the extension header
  | processing worked the way I described them in the first paragraph?

I don't think so, in fact the three fairly obvious cases where the
current header is TCP, UDP, or IPv6 itself (tunnelling) all fail to fit,
as does the fragment header if I remember correctly (it is of fixed size,
so has no header length field).   All of those have been around since the
beginning.

I have seen people assume that it is possible to skip unknown headers,
but that has neevr been correct IPv6 behaviour.

kre