Re: ipsec vs. firewalls

	 Phil

	 I've been a quiet listener in the background but in reference to your
	 remark:
	 	> (rising to the bait) Firewalls are dead. Get used to it. :-)

	 It's nice to hear someone else say that!  I have been carrying them as
	 "dead technology" in our architecture for the last two years and telli
	ng
	 our vendors the same thing.  They are "dead" and we need completely ne
	 concepts for security here.

	 This becomes completely apparent when you start to design security for
	 multi-gigabit links and the top-of-the-line firewalls pass maybe 100
	 megabits on a good day with tailwind!

That's the easy thing to fix -- throw silicon at the problem.  While,
as I indicated earlier, I don't think firewalls are dead, I whole-
heartedly agree that current corporate-scale firewalls are dinosaurs.
But the problem is connectivity patterns, not speed.