Re: 40bit DES?

Roy Pereira writes:
> blah, blah, blah..... Regardless of what your opinion is, in the real
> world we are forced with export issues.  Sure 40-bit DES isn't secure,
> but it sure is a lot better than no encryption or not having any sales?

Huh?

40 bit DES *is* having no encryption. Its got only one legitimate
function -- it will slow your computer down. What's the point?

Not having any sales is the vendor's problem, not the customer's.  The
choice is not "no encryption or 40 bit DES". It is "no encryption or
buy from a company like SSH Communcations Security Oy". The mere fact
that VENDORS are harmed by this doesn't harm CUSTOMERS. End users get
to buy from whom they want.

> Its time to move from the theoretical to the practical.  I can dream of
> a day when we all live together in harmony with world peace, but reality
> dictates something else, doesn't it?

Reality is that customers get to buy from overseas vendors. I'm sorry
if this hurts you as a U.S. vendor. Go and get your lobbyist
working. This doesn't inconvenience me as a user. Just because the NSA
is pushing job exports doesn't mean you can't go and push for crypto
exports.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: