Re: 40bit DES?

OK... since you asked. It's not really needed for export.

While our government will generally grant VPN products a export license
for 56bit IPsec under a "key management infrastructure exemption" and
you can send it all over the world, you can't import it into france
unless it's no stronger than 40 bits.

The main issue is that the french cannot buy strong ( >40 bit) crypto
from any external company without specific pre-authorization.

Arguements about the strength of des40 aside is it really better to
offer them only AH ? or NULL ESP ?.

So you have to rekey every few minutes, it keeps the crypto chip guys in
beer and peanuts :-).

John O'Hara