Re: 40bit DES?

Roy Pereira writes:
> Actually it doesn't hurt my organization at all, since we are a Canadian
> corporation and we can export 56-bit DES without key-recovery to almost
> anywhere.  I am just thinking about all those poor US companies that
> will not be able to export IPSec due to the US's export laws.

They screwed up. They weren't smart enough to locate in Canada. Quit
trying to dumb down IPSec. You aren't doing your customers, or theirs,
a favor. It is better that they buy good crypto from you than
worthless crud from someone in the U.S.

> I agree with you about the severity of the situation for American
> (and Canadian) organizations, but I disagree using US based IPSec
> companies as martyrs.

You are so goddamn vendor-centric. What about the poor customers?
Don't you give a tinker's damn about them? They aren't trying to buy
something to slow down their machines -- they want to buy something
SECURE.

> We have to ask ourselfs if we wish to use IPSec as a vehicle to change
> the US government's export laws, or do we wish to make a PROTOCOL.

We want a SECURE PROTOCOL.

I'm not trying to change anyone's policy. I'm trying to get SECURE
software in the hands of the users. If that means they have to buy
from Canada, so be it. We're doing no customer a favor by selling them
fraudulent fake crypto software.

Perry