Re: 40bit DES?

At 06:09 PM 5/12/98 -0400, Ran Canetti wrote:
>> > there seems to be 3 things needed for 'US exportable' IPsec:
>> >
>> > A 40bit DES ESP algorithm
>> > A 40bit DES for IKE
>> > A 512 modulus for D-H
>> >
>> > All three items handled by one draft might be called:
>>
>> Only the first entry is required. You can leave the IKE encryption and D-H
>> moduli (and RSA key strengths) at their normal, standard levels.
>>
>Very good point. Just to stress: the cryptographic strength of the
>algorithms in IKE has nothing to do with the strength of the data
>encryption. It only determines the level of confidence in the
>authenticity and secrecy of the agreed key (however long or short it
>chooses to be). No reason to weaken that.

Actually there appears to be a reason.  there are vendors have problems
with getting export license for IKE, too strong.

Sigh.

Keep in mind, that I am working as hard as possible to have as many
countries producing their own IPsec products.

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com

Follow-Ups: References: