RE: 40bit DES?

At 12:31 PM 5/13/98 -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
>Instead of 40-bit DES how about just doing an XOR using SKEYID_d :)

I will again point out that we have 40 bit RC4 and CAST.

If all people want is a weak cypher we have it already.  And faster than
40bit DES without the IBM patent.

No people want 40Bit DES.  They have been conditioned for it.  If someone
doesn't give it, there will be massive withdrawl attacks all over the
world, and somewhere someone will wise up and rule that all crypto is BAD.

ERGO:  Let it be.  Someone will cut the necessary IDs.  Our illustrious ADs
will get wording to let the RFC readers know the score.

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com

Follow-Ups: References: