RE: 40bit DES?

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> No people want 40Bit DES.  They have been conditioned for it.  If someone
> doesn't give it, there will be massive withdrawl attacks all over the
> world, and somewhere someone will wise up and rule that all crypto is BAD.

In the Soviet Union, all the intelligentsia was thought to be bad 50 years
ago. In some countries they are thought to be bad even now. Should we
therefore resign? Should the IKE and the algorithms made be weaker just
because the public opinion or some wicked governments? This is not a part
of our mission. Some of my colleagues have worked hard for our covernment
not to restrict crypto in any manner. They succeeded. It should give you
an excellent paragon:  we should not surrender to the opinions of simple
in such questions.

Helger Lipmaa
Cybernetica Ltd, senior research engineer
http://home.cyber.ee/helger; Phone +372-6542422

Follow-Ups: References: