RE: 40bit DES?

At 11:18 PM 5/13/98 +0300, Helger Lipmaa wrote:
>On Wed, 13 May 1998, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> No people want 40Bit DES.  They have been conditioned for it.  If someone
>> doesn't give it, there will be massive withdrawl attacks all over the
>> world, and somewhere someone will wise up and rule that all crypto is BAD.
>
>In the Soviet Union, all the intelligentsia was thought to be bad 50 years
>ago. In some countries they are thought to be bad even now. Should we
>therefore resign? Should the IKE and the algorithms made be weaker just
>because the public opinion or some wicked governments? This is not a part
>of our mission. Some of my colleagues have worked hard for our covernment
>not to restrict crypto in any manner. They succeeded. It should give you
>an excellent paragon:  we should not surrender to the opinions of simple
>in such questions.

Nice view of the problem, but the question is adding 40bDES to the other 8
cryptos, not taking anything away.  This is really the process of assigning
a DOI # for the crypto instead of having some vendor forum going off and
using one of the private #s.

Like I said, this is over for this list for now.  I brought it up only as
there was an ID on 40bDES.

now lets go back to what we were doing...

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com