Re: keying material

At 11:29 AM 5/27/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Doesn't sound like it.  The hash functions take byte strings as input
>(not multibyte fields like integers) so it's not meaningful to talk
>about network byte order.  Byte strings only come in one order.

>From the IKE draft :

HASH_I = prf(SKEYID, g^xi | g^xr | CKY-I | CKY-R | SAi_b | IDii_b )
HASH_R = prf(SKEYID, g^xr | g^xi | CKY-R | CKY-I | SAi_b | IDir_b )

Here, we are calculating the hash on the body of the SA and ID payloads
which, I presume, are in network byte order when concatenating into a
single stream of bytes for use by the PRF. I just wanted to confirm if my
assumption is right.

>Meanwhile, as I mentioned a month or so ago, it would be useful to
>have byte order spelled out.  Right now it's not and this is bound to
>cause interoperability problems.  Not so much for the hash functions
>(where at least some of the underlying specs are fairly clear) but
>more so for things like DES, where it simply is NOT specified.
>
>	paul

* SrinivasRao. B. Kulkarni                                       *
* Rendezvous On Chip Pvt Ltd.                                    *
* First Floor, Plot No. 14,                                      *
* NewVasaviNagar, Kharkhana,                                     *
* SECUNDERABAD - 500015.                                         *
* INDIA                                                          *
* Ph : (040) 7742606, 7740406                                    *
* email address : srinu@trinc.com                                *