RE: Items for new charter

Robert

Your note covers some of the issues I want to mention but I don't think
restating them hurts.  As you know, I tend to focus on operational use
issues and concerns so I'll toss out a few issues to consider not
necessarily as part of IPSEC II protocols but as the background that it
will need to live in and support.  As you begin to design IPSEC II
perhaps consider:

1) Scaling to handle GigaPoPs with individual IPSEC connections/tunnels
running near a gigabit and total flows through the PoP into the 10's of
gigabits.

2) Scaling to handle 10's of thousands of active IPSEC
connections/streams.

3) Methods to allow authentication of individual connections/streams to
enter or leave an IPSEC tunnel.

4) Methods to allow connection flexibility for both security and
provisioning (negotiation?); QOS, bandwidth of the tunnel,
authentication type, etc.

5) Methods to tag/mark connections to allow a stream/connection/flow to
be recognized as already authenticated/permitted/routed rather than
individual packet inspection.

6) Debugging concepts and management techniques to insure IPSEC II
supportability by the operators in a global environment; MIB's, tunnel
wraparound, etc.

IPSEC II will almost certainly be the one of the first security
protocols for the 21st century, we should treat it as such, even in
these early design phases, to insure it scales to support a global
Internet.

Take care,

Terry L. Davis, P.E.
Boeing