RE: IPCOMP and IPSEC

Saroop,

Well IPSEC does change the whole picture for compression.  With
encryption being performed at the IP layer, compression needs to happen
there too (not at the datalink).  The IP-layer compression (IPPCP) calls
for zero-history compression - for which the performance can be bad.
When we did LZS zero-history support for X.25 links, we used a minimum
packet size of 500bytes, i.e. we would not even try to compress the
packet if it was smaller than that.

On my office link (ISDN/PPP/LZS with history),  I average 2:1
compression.   I suspect this would reduce noticeably for zero-history.

Steve.