RE: IPCOMP and IPSEC

> 	I've worked full-time from home for a few years now - using a
> direct dial ISDN link over which the
> 	average compression seems to stay stubbornly on 2:1.  I'll load
> up the IPPCP image and share the results
> 	once I have a decent sample.  Not a bad case study considering
> the use of IPPCP in the short term -
> 	i.e. remote-access for laptops/SOHOs.

For reasons stated in my previous message, as you move closer to the core
of the Internet where traffic is highly uncorrelated, you will find
relatively poor cases for stateful compression.  (I am aware that
stateless compression is the proposed method for IPPCP.)

As you move far to the edge of the Internet, at the modem layer, you find
that packets are highly correlated and tend to benefit from current stateful
compression methodologies.

-eric