RE: use of client IDs

Dan,

> In my opinion it would be bad for Z to have related policy
> (which would
> allow it to accept this negotiation) since it would require
> every single
> packet sent to it and sent from it to go through this box.
> And that is not
> realistic.

An SA is a simplex connection, and assymetric routes are not
uncommon. If a box accepts packets from a source IP address of
"any", that arrive over an SA, it should not imply that the
box has only one default route for sending packets, which all
packets must follow, and which has a nexthop IP address of the
other end of the SA.

I think I now see where some of the confusion lies however.
If I have two routers, and a GRE or L2TP tunnel between them,
and I want to secure the GRE or L2TP tunnel with IPSEC, then
the Quick Mode exchange needed to set up the SA does not need
to include the client ID, because in this case the router is
acting as a virtual host, and is not proxying for anyone.
Is this correct ?

Bryan