Proposed charter

I have floated the proposed charter among a few people that have said
various things about IPsecond.  I have received a few responses, but it
is overdue for workgroup input and then IESG submission.

Note that Ted and I are waiting for 3 IDs to get the proscribed changes.
All three authors had tagged this week to get it done.  They know who
they are.  Please just do it!

IP Security Protocol (ipsec)

----------------------------

 Charter

 Chair(s):

     Theodore Ts'o <<tytso@mit.edu>

     Robert Moskowitz <<rgm@icsa.net>

 Security Area Director(s):

     Jeffrey Schiller  <<jis@mit.edu>

     Marcus Leech  <<mleech@nortel.ca>

 Security Area Advisor:

     Jeffrey Schiller  <<jis@mit.edu>

 Mailing Lists:

     General Discussion:ipsec@tis.com

     Archive:           ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/lists/ipsec OR

 			   ftp.ans.net/pub/archive/ipsec

Description of Working Group:

Although the IPsec main technology has been specified and is actively
being implemented and deployed, the original work group deferred a number
of work items.  Addressing these items, plus needed minor adjustments to
IPsec and IKE will be the domain of this rechartered IP Security Protocol
Working Group (IPSEC).  The new efforts will be broken into three
catagories:

Address any corrections or improvements need to either advance the
IPsec/IKE documents or recycle at level.

Add functionality and extend basic functions where needed,
specifically:

Policy/tunnel endpoint discovery.

Complex tunnel management.

ICMP messages, standardized error codes, and MIBs.

Additional algorithms and IKE DOI options.

</paraindent>

Address reasonable recommendations from the Secure Multicasting IRTF
workgroup.

 Goals and Milestones:

Apr 1999	Planned	Advance Architecture, ESP, AH, and current
				algorithms

Apr 1999	Planned	Recycle/Advance IKE, DOI, ISAKMP documents

Dec 1998	Planned	Publish MIBs for IPsec/IKE

Dec 1998	Planned	Publish Error codes and Messages for IPsec/IKE

May 1998	Submitted 	The ISAKMP Configuration Method

			draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-mode-cfg-04.txt

May 1998 	Submitted 	Extended Authentication Within ISAKMP/Oakley

			draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-xauth-02.txt

Feb 1998	Submitted 	The Use of HMAC-RIPEMD-160-96 within ESP and AH

			draft-ietf-ipsec-auth-hmac-ripemd-160-96-01.txt

Dec 1997	Submitted 	A GSS-API Authentication Mode for ISAKMP/Oakley

			draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-gss-auth-01.txt

Feb 1998	Submitted 	IPSec Policy Data Model

			draft-ietf-ipsec-policy-model-00.txt

Robert Moskowitz

ICSA

Security Interest EMail: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com