Re: More questions on ID types

Bryan Gleeson writes:
> I think there is another problem however. For the mandatory
> case of Authentication with Pre-Shared Key & Main Mode, it
> seems to me that the ID payload is in the "wrong" message.
> The pre-shared key needs to be accessed before the message
> with the ID payload can be decrypted. The spec says that the
> key can only be identified using the (source) IP address of
> the incoming ISAKMP message.
[...explanation elided...]
> Thus perhaps it would be better for the Pre-Shared key case
> to include the ID payload in the 3rd and 4th messages
> of the exchange (the ones that transfer the D-H public info
> and the nonces), rather than in the 5th and 6th. This removes
> the need to look at source IP address at all, and would be
> similar to the Authentication with Encryption exchange.

Unfortunately Pre-Shared-Key-Auth Main Mode would no longer be
an Identity Protect exchange if this change were made.
Protecting the identities of the parties is a notable feature
of Main Mode -- in contrast to Aggressive Mode -- for the
pre-shared key case. So I don't think Main Mode should be
altered to send ID payloads in the clear.

I suppose there is some argument to be made for a compromise
mode in the pre-shared key case that would be more "aggressive"
than Main Mode, but more "reserved" than Aggressive Mode.
For example (illustrative purposes only):

              Initiator                        Responder
             ----------                       -----------
              HDR, SA             -->
                                  <--    HDR, SA, KE, Nr
       HDR, KE, Ni, IDii, HASH_I  -->
                                  <--    HDR, IDir, HASH_R

This doesn't offer identity protection. But it allows
negotiation of the DH group (unlike Aggressive Mode) and
saves a full round-trip versus Main Mode.
(Other variations are possible. I haven't really considered
which ones might be better.)

-Lewis
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~lmccarth

Follow-Ups: References: